On The Bounty

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 2114 times)

Oct

• Cat Herder
  • Heidi Fleiss
  • Oh snap
    • View Profile
Fallout 3
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:35:36 pm »

So.... who else here is playing Fallout at the moment?

If you are, what do you think so far?

I've beaten it but try to avoid spoilers for other folks, please.

Jorit

• OTB Member
  • Mutineer
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LacrosseBum1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Chris54120@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fallout 3
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:01:04 pm »

I'm playing it, but have been very not-focused on the main quest line.  Instead doing a quest, walking there on foot, exploring everything I find on my way there and killing everything that I wont lose karma for killing, so I haven't advanced the main storyline at all, but I'll get there eventually!

Seems awesome so far, but like a Oblivion Total Conversion, more than a standalone game.  Granted, built on the same engine oblivion was, but a bit too obviously similar, imo.  Also, the same old gremlins as Oblivion, like the occasional, random inexplicable crash.  But still a 90%+ in my book.

Ynos

• OTB Member
  • Mutineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 06:48:49 am »

I've been playing this as well.  I really enjoy it, despite a couple of niggling complaints.  The random crashes are annoying, but fortunately the autosave function usually saves me from having to redo too much.  But far too many of the NPCs talk about the world before the war as if they remember it.

I'm trying to avoid the main questline as well, but this sort of bit me in the butt.  I wasn't aware that there was a cap at level 20, so I spread my skill points a little thin.  This was so unacceptable that I had to start the game over.  Judging by the size of the map and how many locations I had found so far, I estimate that I was 60-70% done exploring the "world" at the time.  It's gonna be hard to complete my bobblehead collection.

Oct

• Cat Herder
  • Heidi Fleiss
  • Oh snap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:09:37 am »

I really would recommend doing the main questline to a point, as it's really to your benefit. If you can get to the point where you learn to use power armor, that's a great jumping-off point for switching to sidequests, as you will have a lot of the DC ruins points mapped out already which makes it easier for fast-travel.

Also if any of you explorers come across vault 112 just on your own, I don't recommend going in and doing the stuff in there as it effectively causes you to skip over a fair chunk of the main storyline.

Ynos

• OTB Member
  • Mutineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 09:46:57 am »

Yeah, a friend of mine told me that going to Rivet City early skips the GNR content as well.

Jorit

• OTB Member
  • Mutineer
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LacrosseBum1
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Chris54120@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:24 pm »

Yeah, a friend of mine told me that going to Rivet City early skips the GNR content as well.

I did this quite unintentionally, and to be honest didn't really notice any hiccup in the story, though I did already have a reason to go to rivet city and talk to everybody for a quest, so that probably helped.

I hope they expand the Fallout world with expansions, I really dug this one, and my only complaints were that the world seemed smallish, needed more varied enemies, and needed a bit more in the weapons department.  The AR and hunting rifle dont pack any punch in the endgame, and there's nothing to replace them, so you have a lot of wasted skillpoints, and have to shortchange other areas to beef up energy weapons in a hurry.  Hope that wasnt too much of a spoiler.

Laertes

• Corsair
  • Mutineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »

Way to ruin it for me...now I have to take the game back..err un-download the cracked copy I have.

(Actually all of the posts just make me wish I had time to play the game :- ) )

Oct

• Cat Herder
  • Heidi Fleiss
  • Oh snap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:34:31 pm »

The AR and hunting rifle dont pack any punch in the endgame, and there's nothing to replace them

Some upgrades:
Chinese Assault Rifle or Xuanlong Assault Rifle
Sniper Rifle/Victory Rifle/Lincoln's Repeater

Not to mention the good 'ol Combat Shotgun

then there's always the elusive Alien Blaster or whatever it's called, but there's not much for ammo

Ynos

• OTB Member
  • Mutineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 09:21:53 am »

My first time through the game, I was unaware that there was a cap at level 20.  As a result I didn't have enough points in some of my support skills, so I started over.  I had found the Xualong AR and Lincoln's Repeater, but was severely disappointed with the energy weapons.  When I restarted, I decided not to put any points into Energy Weapons.  So far, it's working well for me.